I've adapted this recipe for an 8 X 8 inch pan, but you can double the recipe and use a 9 X 13 X 2 inch pan. Read through the whole recipe and then prep your ingredients before you start baking!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 6 tbsp light brown sugar
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
- 1/4 tsp salt (I use Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt)
- 7 oz (1/2 cup) sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup full-fat ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 3/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp freshly grated orange peel
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- 1 1/2 tsp brown sugar
- 8 oz (3/4 cup) tart jam such as plum, cranberry, sour cherry, apricot
1. Preheat the oven to 350*. Line the pan with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, oats, and 6 tbsp brown sugar. Cut in the butter with a fork, pastry cutter or fingers until it is crumbly. Put one cup of the crumb mixture in a small bowl and set aside. Firmly press the remaining crumb mixture into a 8 X 8 baking pan.
3. Bake for 15 minutes
4. Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, beat together the sweetened condensed milk, ricotta, egg, vanilla extract and orange peel until smooth.
5. In a small bowl, combine the 1.5 tsp of brown sugar and the cornstarch. Then add the jam and mix thoroughly.
6. Spread the custard mixture evenly over the baked crust. Then spoon the jam mixture in dollops over the custard.
7. Top with the cup of streusel you set aside.
7. Bake for 40 minutes or until the top is lightly brown.
8. Cool and then cut into bars. Store in the refrigerator.